Just our family

Just our family

More like the REAL us

More like the REAL us

Always Laughing

Always Laughing
My photo
I am a wife and mother of three great kids, Sarah, Austin and Annabeth. Mimi to three sweet grandsons, Noah and Hunter, and Dallas. I am a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit of a large inner city hospital. So, sit back and relax, this is the story of our family.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

my new Journaling Bible

At Christmas time, my friend Lisa got a journaling Bible.  It looked like something that I would really enjoy because I love to doodle and draw.  She told me that they were pre-ordering a journaling Bible that had some pre-drawn adult coloring book pages and then blank margins that you could draw also.  It was in New Living Translation, which is the translation that I love the best, so I pre-ordered it.  

A few weeks back in my Weight Watchers meeting, they were talking about snacking after dinner.  One of the ladies said that she has taken up adult coloring.  She said that she just gets lost in the colors and patterns and her hands are busy, so she doesn't think about eating.  

When my bible came in, that is what I started doing in the evening time instead of watching TV and being tempted by the chips or popcorn.  I just find a verse that I want to draw about, look up the chapter, read over the chapter and pray over it.  (I must admit that I get ideas from Pinterest, but they don't look much like they did on Pinterest :O) Ha!!!)

As I read about bible journaling, there are those that think it is not good to "doodle" in the bible, that it is sacred and God's Holy Word.  I believe that it is as well, but I also think that God would rather me spend time with him in prayer and meditation and not worry so much about what has been colored in the margins of my bible.

I also think back on the bible that Momma used all of those years.  Bro. Bobby preached her funeral with her own bible.  What a gift it was to hear what verses meant something to her, what notes she made in the bible.  I pray that this bible will be a gift to my kids one day when I am gone.
Since today is Easter Sunday, what better way to start this blog than with this verse.

this is one of my favorites.  I have to remind myself of this often.  I have a pretty low self esteem and I am sure it stems from being overweight most of my life, but as we have all heard, "God don't make junk!!!".

this is one of my least favorite, mainly because of the artistry, but I do like the verse and the adjectives.

This is one of the pages that is pre-printed.  I am finding that I am drawn to the blues and purples.  "Jesus, there's just something about that name"

This was the first page I colored.  It is Joshua 1:9.  It was the verse that Momma clung to when she found out that she had cancer.  I am finding that I like the pages that I draw myself better, but this bible does highlight some verses that I might not have been drawn to before.  

This reminded me of my sister.  She use to live in Virginia Beach and she loved light houses, she even has a small collection at her home.  She shared a song with me today that reminded me of what a gift Grace and Salvation is....it is not something that we earned, not something that we lose.  

Boy, I LOVE this.  I need to pray more and worry less.  My problems are nothing that God cannot handle, I just have to surrender to Him and trust him to handle it.  

This reminded me of Pastor Chris.  He talks each week about surrendering and living a life of "I am in Christ, Christ is in Me".  I always pictured surrender like someone at war waving a white flag, or sitting in the corner of a dark room with your face buried in your hands, now I know that surrender is freely giving you whole life to God to use as He sees fit.  It is reaching your hands and face towards the heavens and presenting myself as a living sacrifice.

He is with us wherever I go.

This journaling bible is for:


  • doodling
  • entering into His presence
  • opening up
  • experience more than rushing to finish
  • chatting with God
  • worship through art
  • honesty
  • sloppy handwriting
  • hearing His voice
  • laughter
  • making mistakes
  • coloring outside the lines
  • skipping around
  • brokenness
  • meditating on scripture
  • praying for others
  • messy imperfect efforts


This journaling bible is NOT for:


  • checking things off of a To Do list
  • perfection
  • proving how great of an artist I am
  • Impressing God
  • gallery art
  • fear of failure
  • showing off 
  • neat, tidy thoughts
  • fear of judgement
  • impressing others


These pages may:


  • crinkle
  • wrinkle
  • get stained
  • RRRRRip!!!
  • be ugly
  • curl up
  • bleed through


It is OK.  It is about spending time in the Word, spending time with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

.

.