Just our family

Just our family

More like the REAL us

More like the REAL us

Always Laughing

Always Laughing
My photo
I am a wife and mother of three great kids, Sarah, Austin and Annabeth. Mimi to three sweet grandsons, Noah and Hunter, and Dallas. I am a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit of a large inner city hospital. So, sit back and relax, this is the story of our family.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 7 - I am starting to get the hang of it....maybe





I still get very nervous and always think I can't do it, and I have been getting really discouraged not being able to keep up with everyone else in our group.  Then a couple of weeks ago, I mapped out how far 5K really is and I have been thinking there is no way I can do it.

Well, tonight, we went to train at Shelby Farms, it was a cool 84 degrees (much better than heat index of 100 degrees)...anyway, I actually went over 2.5 miles.  I am still very, very slow, but I am making progress.  I have found that we can talk while we are running part of the time.  I am not nearly as tired and worn out as when we first started.  and Tonight, for the first time, I actually think that I can finish the race. 

It is not really a race for me against any one else, or even my own time.  It is about finishing.  I started this as a way to become healthier and I want to reach my goal.  Hopefully, I will continue working on it and become stronger, and hopefully run/walk in the Race for the Cure in October.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I continue with my training and don't get hurt or anything.  I am actually, maybe a little bit, looking forward to September 15th.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading An Accidental Athlete byJohn 'The Penguin' Bingham that Heather's husband Brad recommended and am thoroughly enjoying it. It is a light-hearted read about a man who discovered running at 43 years of age and his experiences. If you find your motivation flagging or lose it post-race (or want to prevent either from happening) you would definitely want to consider reading this book. I bought it for.my Nook device but it may even be in the library. Also, Kay, I've done the program you're doing (way back when they first started it) and they are a fantastic group of ladies. if you can run in Memphis in August you can achieve anything you set your mind to! I'm cheering for you all the way from San Diego! Keep up the great work! HUGS

    ReplyDelete

.

.

.

.