Just our family

Just our family

More like the REAL us

More like the REAL us

Always Laughing

Always Laughing
My photo
I am a wife and mother of three great kids, Sarah, Austin and Annabeth. Mimi to three sweet grandsons, Noah and Hunter, and Dallas. I am a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit of a large inner city hospital. So, sit back and relax, this is the story of our family.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Week 5 - I actually talked part of the walk/run

It was equally as hot tonight with a heat index around 100 degrees, and during warm up, I was standing in an ant hill (not a good way to start the run), but after pouring water down my legs and feet, I started the training with the rest of the ladies.  We went over 2 miles tonight and just like usual, the first half was fine, then I started getting really nauseated and my hands were swelling so bad that I could not bend my fingers, and the sun was in my eyes without my visor, but I kept on putting one foot in front of the other and finished.  I had to, I was too embarrassed to stop. I was not able to run any of the last half, but I also did not throw up in the fields either....which is a good thing.

In case you have the mistaken notion that I am enjoying myself, I am NOT!!!  This is the hardest, most painful thing that I have ever attempted to do.  It hurts...my knees, my feet, my head, I get nervous, I get a tummy ache, I feel like I am gonna faint, did I mention that my head hurts, I feel like I am gonna throw up, crowds make me really nervous and here I am running with several hundred other people.  I don't want to be the one they have to call the ambulance for. 

You might ask, then, why am I doing this?  I don't really know the answer.  I just know that I am tired of being overweight.  I am tired of being short of breath.  I get embarrassed coming up the flight of stairs from the cafeteria at work.  I am embarrassed that I have to let the others on the delivery team pass me heading to L&D for a delivery.  I am embarrassed that I cannot fit into the throw away scrubs when I have to go into the O.R......I have to hunt for a cover gown.  I don't think that running is the golden ticket to health and weight loss.  What I do know is that running is free....and freeing.  Behavioral health professionals say that it naturally helps with depression.  You have time to think.  Maybe it will help lower my blood sugar, my blood pressure and cholesterol.  I have never had issue with these things before, but with my age, I am sure it will eventually become a problem.  And who knows......maybe I will not even finish.  But for now, I am trying.  That is all I can do is try.
By the way, tonight we saw a little, tiny baby deer over by the bamboo field.  Someone said that they harvest bamboo there each week for the Panda bears at the zoo.  I just hope he found his momma.  One of the coaches in the picture by me, Lisa Overall, was very sweet to stick by me and just walk the last half, she was a great encouragement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

.

.