Just our family

Just our family

More like the REAL us

More like the REAL us

Always Laughing

Always Laughing
My photo
I am a wife and mother of three great kids, Sarah, Austin and Annabeth. Mimi to three sweet grandsons, Noah and Hunter, and Dallas. I am a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit of a large inner city hospital. So, sit back and relax, this is the story of our family.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chicken & Dumplings

4 cups of Gluten Free Bisquick (each box holds a little over 2 cups, so I needed 2 boxes)
8 oz. sour cream
1-1 1/2 cups of 7-up or sprite
3 teaspoons salt

I rolled them out thin, and dense, cut them with a pizza cutter and froze them, then dropped them into the boiling chicken broth.........yummy!)


In a large bowl, combine bisquick, sourcream and 1 cup of sprite. Mix together.  The original recipe said to use only 1 cup of sprite, but mine was very very dry, I added an ounce at a time until I had 1 1/2 cups of sprite total and when you stirred it together, it looked kind of like a very dry cottage cheese (that's how I remember my grandmother telling me that you want the biscuit dough to look).  I then turned the dough out onto the counter covered in wax paper (I hate clean up) with a bit of bisquick on the paper.  I patted it out and folded it over a couple of times, then rolled it out fairly thin. I used a pizza cutter to make the dumplings and put them on a pan covered in wax paper.  I froze them until ready to use later in the day.

I put chicken in the crock put.  I used chicken breasts (the broth is better if there is skin on them).  They cooked on high for 6-8 hours.  I then pulled the chicken out, poured the broth over into a large stock pot.  I put more salt and pepper and poultry seasoning into the broth, put pulled chicken meat back into the broth without bones and skin, brought it to a rolling boil and dropped the frozen dumplings in there....Gramps always said to drop them into a hole that is bubbling up, not just one dumpling on top of the other - that way they don't stick together.  Once all of the dumplings were in, I poured 2 cups of milk in and 2 tablespoons of butter.  Mrs. Conlee says to stir it only once, then put a lid on it and cover for 15-20 minutes.  I always ended up adding a little more black pepper.....I LOVE it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

.

.